Notice of Election
List of Certified Candidates
Declaration of Acclamation to Office
List of Certified School Board Candidates
List of Certified French Public Candidates
List of Filed Nominations
Municipal Elections in Ontario are held every four years and are governed by the Municipal Elections Act. The next municipal election will be held on Monday, October 22, 2018. The new term of Council begins December 1, 2018.
The Township of Norwich elects candidates to the positions of:
- Mayor – to be elected at large
- Councillor (4) – one to be elected per ward
- School Board Trustees
Notice of Nomination
Information for candidates
Candidates can run for office by filing their nomination with the Clerk. The nomination filing fee is $200 for Mayor and $100 for all other offices. Nominations can be filed from Tuesday, May 1, 2018 until 2 p.m. on Friday, July 27, 2018. Each nomination must be endorsed by at least 25 eligible electors (excluding school board trustees). The fee shall be paid by cash, debit, certified cheque or money order, made payable to the municipality.
An individual, corporation or union must also register as a Third Party Advertiser during this time if they plan to incur expenses by advertising a message in any medium that supports or opposes a candidate or question on the ballot. Candidates are not able to register as third party advertisers.
The campaign period begins once a nomination paper or notice of registration is filed. Election expenses cannot be incurred outside of the campaign period. Preliminary expense limits and other legislative documentation will be provided to candidates and third party advertisers on the day they file.
Nomination packages will be available to pick up from the Clerk's office starting Friday April 27, 2018 or bycontacting the Clerk's Department at 519-468-2410.
To be eligible as a candidate in the Township of Norwich you must meet the following requirements:
- A Canadian citizen
- At least 18 years of age
- A resident of the Township of Norwich, a non-resident owner or tenant of land in Township of Norwich or the spouse of such non-resident owner or tenant
- Not legally prohibited from voting
- Not disqualified by any legislation from holding municipal office
Candidate Campaign Finances
- Thecampaign period begins once a nomination paper or notice of registration is filed with the Clerk.
- Election expenses cannot be incurred outside of the campaign period.
- Corporations and trade unions are no longer eligible to contribute to municipal election campaigns. This includes all council and school board elections. Corporations and trade unions can be third party advertisers and make contributions to third party advertisers.
- A candidate who does not accept any contributions of money, or incur any expenses, is not required to open a separate election bank account.
- Nomination filing fee is not considered a campaign expense
- Candidates are responsible for keeping records of the financial activities related to their campaign. Remember to issue receipts for all donations of goods or services, obtain receipts for expenses incurred, and keep copies of all receipts.
- It is the responsibility of the candidate to file a complete and accurate financial statement on time. Candidates should completely familiarize themselves with theappropriate sections of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996.
For further information about municipal and school board elections, please visit the Ministry of Municipal Affairs Election webpage or email MEAinfo@ontario.ca.
2018 Voters List - The preliminary list of electors is now available.